The challenges of new generation audio and video media
With the development of mobile devices in recent years and the functions are getting more and more complete, the reading habits of viewers have gradually shifted from traditional channels to smartphones and tablets. This also means that the media manufacturers provided services must possess the ability to deal with a large number of connections at the same time; meanwhile, provide high-availability and uninterrupted service quality is an inevitable fact.
The advantages of moving video and audio applications to the cloud
To improve the quality of media, reduce costs and expenses, and increase the value of the content, Media Industry is actively transforming from the traditional mass broadcasting business model to the Over-The-Top (OTT) model built on basic cloud services. For example, HBO plus, and the other new brands built based on OTT technology, such as Netflix, iQiyi. The following are some of the benefits of media moving to the cloud:
- More time to create media content: There’s no need to worry about the hardware performance of video transmission, processing, and editing. Users can adjust it at any time according to the needs, so the user can focus on creating and delivering content. The cumbersome work of image capturing and maintenance of video transmission, processing, and delivery hardware are handed over to cloud services to handle.
- Solving the problem of unpredictable number of viewers: Instead of predicting video flow, AWS Media Services can flexibly increase or decrease resources to meet your immediate and on-demand service needs. Easily expand for thousands or millions of viewers without spending extra time and cost building basic infrastructure.
- Expand as the video capacity increases: Scalable services allow you to keep up with the ever-increasing volume of large video streaming and increasing file sizes.
- Pay-as-you-go: There’s no need to pay for the cost of building basic infrastructure at the early stages but pay based on the usage.
- Quickly build and adjust: Depending on the audience’s interests or new opportunities, you can quickly build, test, and launch upgrades without having to purchase or manage devices.
- Deliver content to the world: Improve the quality of the viewer’s experience by using CDN services to improve the efficiency of video transmission and publishing content at the nearest node of the viewer.
AWS Media Services – AWS Elemental
In 2015, Amazon acquired the media publishing technology company-Elemental Technology because of the trend and business opportunities in the cloud media. It hopes to provide users with reliable and flexible real-time a media transmission quality through its video processing technology and experience, combined with the flexibility and automatic expansion of resources provided by the cloud platform. The following are some introduction to the AWS Elemental services:
|AWS Elemental MediaConnect: The new features released in re:Invent 2018 use a lower cost than satellite and fiber-optic networks and combine the flexibility of IP networks to create a real-time audio and video transmission process.|
|AWS Elemental MediaLive: It allows you to create high-quality live video streams and provide ABR Adaptive bitrate to meet the needs of each device, delivering content to TV or mobile devices. Establish a channel that is open all year round and has high audio and video quality.|
|AWS Elemental MediaConvert: The video transcoding, editing, and encryption services are performed according to the output device, which makes it easy to set up on-demand video (VOD) content.|
|AWS Elemental MediaPackage: The audio and video content is packaged and sent to the device to provide mainstream formats such as mainstream DASH, HLS, and Smooth Streaming, and encrypted according to requirements. It can be automatically expanded according to the number of viewers of the movie, and provides an interface operation similar to DVR for live viewers.|
|AWS Elemental MediaStore: The most economical solution for using only HLS inputs and HLS ABR outputs. Provide end to end low latency, which is automatically expanded according to the demand for video viewing and combined with AWS IAM to allow users to control permissions.|
|AWS Elemental MediaTailor: Customized ads are served according to live viewers’ behavior, favorite content, and time of watching. Using MediaTailor’s ads can ensure the quality of the video will not be reduced and remain the viewers’ experience.|
Building an Over-The-Top (OTT) delivery process with AWS Elemental: